Appetite for Life Academy
Join the Appetite for Life Academy and be among the first to learn about cutting-edge NRI research! The Appetite for Life Academy presents community programs that bring the latest scientific research down to earth in educational and interactive lectures, demonstrations, and events. To learn more about Appetite for Life Academy activities in your community, please join our mailing list.
Frontiers in Nutrition Seminar Series
The Frontiers in Nutrition Lecture Series brings renowned scientists to our community to translate cutting edge nutrition research into practical advice and hands-on knowledge that you can use to eat healthier and live well. Hear leading experts in individualized nutrition share their latest findings and understand the science behind the headlines in these educational lectures. The Frontiers in Nutrition Lecture Series traditionally takes place on Tuesday evenings in February and are free to the public. Make your plans to attend and register early – seats at this popular series fill up quickly!
Learn how cutting-edge nutrition research mixes with extraordinary ingredients at the Appetite for Life Academy Cooking School! NRI Researchers partner with award-winning Chef’s from Johnson and Wales University to demonstrate how great taste and sound nutrition go hand-in-hand. Discuss and taste the most healthful foods of the season at these entertaining and educational events.
Ask us about hosting an Appetite for Life Academy Cooking School session at your upcoming special event!
Student Science Fair
The Appetite for Life Academy provides hands-on experiences to a younger generation of emerging scientists through an annual Student Science Fair. High School Science Classes from public and private schools in the Kannapolis, Cabarrus, Gaston, Mecklenburg and Rowan-Salisbury school systems will submit creative projects related to the UNC NRI’s research mission, understanding individualized nutrition. Prizes will be awarded to the winning class projects and students, teachers and families will be invited to view the projects on display at the UNC NRI.
Sound Bites, Semi-Annual Newsletter
Appetite for Life Academy Sound Bites, the NRI’s semi-annual newsletter, shares upcoming events, NRI news, and the latest nutrition research from some of the most respected names in the field. Sign-up to Sound Bites today!
Highlights from Past Editions:
- First comprehensive nutrigenetics book is published
- 2013 Appetite for Life Seminar Series highlights
- Art contest detail and N.C. Science Festival
- Faculty News and Meet the People Behind the Science: Jody Albright, Research Asst.
- Additions to Our Team
- Student-led IMPACT program teaches children nutritional values
- Harris Teeter, The Dickson Foundation establish first Professorship at NRI
- $8.9M grant to unravel Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- 2012 Appetite for Life Seminar Series Highlights
- NRI’s new Scholar’s Cove now open for interns
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awards $100,000 grant to NRI
- Newest NRI Professor brings attention to Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- New book by NRI scientist sets higher standards in epigenetics
- Cannon Foundation grant funds The Scholar's Cove
- NRI Professor to train U.S. Military physicians
- Learn how to participate in personalized online nutrition guidance program
Fall / Winter 2010
- Gift Supports Young Scientist
- NRI’s Corbin Receives NIH Award
- Remembering James K. Polk, founding NRI Board member
- First Metabolic Chamber Study Leads to Breakthrough
- NRI’s nutrition and diet instruction entering mainstream of medical practice
- Zeisel, NRI director, selected for NIEHS environmental health award
Spring / Summer 2009
- USDA Honors NRU Director Steven Zeisel, MD, PhD, with Atwater Award
- NRU Faculty Members Launch Research Programs
- Economic Development and Outreach Programs Keeping the Nutrition Research Institute Busy
- Appetite for Life Academy Continues a Tradition of Excellence
- NRI Hosts top Scientists for its Genetics, Epigenetics and Behavior Conference
- The NRI's Mission: Understanding What Makes You... You
- NRI Partners with Johnson & Wales University to Sponsor a Cooking Demonstration at the NRI