October 15, 2019 – Appetite For Life @ Johnson & Wales University
Hearty Fall Soups & Stews
Chef Megan Lambert, MS, RD
Senior Instructor, College of Culinary Arts
Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte, North Carolina
Vegan Tom Kha Gai
• 2” piece Ginger, sliced into 1/8 inch thick disks
•2” piece Ggalangal root, sliced into 1/8 thick disks
• 3” piece Lemongrass, bruised
• 8 Kefir lime leaves
• 4 cups Veggie broth
• 8 ounces sliced Mushrooms (oyster or shiitake)
• 8 ounces Butternut squash, 1/2” dice
• 1 can Coconut milk (full fat)
• 3 tablespoons Fish sauce (or sub vegan fish sauce) OR 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
• 2 teaspoons Palm, Coconut or Brown sugar
• 2–4 fresh Thai chilies, optional
• Fresh lime wedges
• Fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Place ginger, galangal, lemongrass, kefir lime leaves and veggie broth in a pot. Bring to a simmer, and simmer until broth is flavorful. It is traditional to serve the soup with these ingredients, but they are not eaten! You could remove these ingredients at this point, or you could put them in a mesh bag or coffee filter so they don’t get eaten by accident.
2. Add butternut squash and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, tofu, coconut milk, fish sauce or salt, sugar, and Thai chiles, if using.
4. Simmer until butternut squash is tender.
5. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
6. May be served over rice or noodles.
White Bean Chicken Chile Verde
Yield: 4-6 servings
• 1 quart Chicken Stock
• 1 chicken breast
• 1/2 t. Cumin
• 1/2 t. Coriander
• 1/2 t. Mexican oregano
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1-1 1/2 c. White beans, cooked or canned
• 6-8 medium Tomatillos
• 1 medium Onion
• 2 cloves Garlic
• 1-2 medium Jalapenos
• 12 – 16 oz jar Cilantro OR Salsa Verde
• 1-2 cups Frozen corn kernels
• 1-2 cups Green beans, cut into 1” pieces
1. Gently simmer the chicken breast in chicken stock, along with the cumin, coriander, oregano, and salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the stock, cool, and shred.
2. To the stock, add the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from stock and blend with cilantro, using stock as needed to thin the salsa.
3. Return the salsa to the pot along with the chicken and white beans.
4. Add any optional vegetables to the pot, and simmer until all vegetables are cooked.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Chorizo, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew
Yield: 4-6 servings
•2 t. Olive oil
• 8 oz Mexican chorizo, removed from casing
• 1 large Onion, diced • 2 large Sweet Potatoes, diced
• 1 quart Vegetable or Chicken stock
• 1 large bunch Kale, finely chopped
• Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium- high heat. Add chorizo and onion, and saute until onion is translucent and chorizo is fully cooked.
2. Add sweet potato and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, until sweet potato is just tender.
3. Add kale and simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with crusty bread, and your favorite hot sauce.
Posted: October 15, 2019