Designed by: Chef Megan Lambert, Senior Instructor at Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte, NC.
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle puree
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in enough water to cover for 30 minutes.
- Add cashews and water to blender jar along with chipotle puree, lime juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Blend the mixture until very smooth and creamy. You can stir in additional water until the crema is the consistency of sour cream.
- Refrigerate leftover crema for up to a week.
Cashews, a type of tree nut, have mostly “good” monounsaturated fat. A 1 ounce serving (approximately 18 kernels) is a good source of iron, manganese, phosphorus and since. It is also an excellent source of copper and magnesium.
A one-half serving of nuts (9 cashews, 12 almonds, 24 pistachios, 7 walnut halves) or 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter counts as 1 ounce-equivalent in the protein foods groups.
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020, saturated fats in the diet should be replaced with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Common sources of unsaturated fat include oils such as canola, corn, olive, peanut, safflower, soybean and sunflower oil, as well as nuts, seeds, seafood, olive and avocados.