UNC Nutrition Research Institute faculty typically accept unpaid student interns based on their research opportunities and as their schedules allow. Students interested in the NRI’s research are encouraged to take a look at our website and put together a statement about their interest in precision nutrition, as well as any of our researchers of particular interest. Students should submit a resume and statement of interest based on the above review, including what they hope to gain from the experience to be considered for such opportunities. Please email resume and statement of interest to Brandi_Childers@unc.edu.
The Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) studies why people’s metabolism and nutrient requirements differ from person to person. As scientists, physicians, and healthcare practitioners better understand nutritional individuality, they will be able to enhance human health, improve brain development, and more effectively treat diseases like obesity, cancer, and diabetes. The NRI is located on the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, North Carolina and is part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Why come to Kannapolis?
- Assured hard money funding support for faculty research programs
- Generous start-up packages for faculty members
- State-of-the-art research facilities in the 125,000 square foot UNC Nutrition Research Institute
- Cutting edge instrumentation available at the David H. Murdock Core Laboratory
- Tenure or tenure track appointments
- Innovative team-oriented approach to science
- Co-located with six other universities
- Workforce training and support provided by the North Carolina Community College System
- Incubator facilities on campus for science companies and venture capital to help finance such companies, providing an exceptional opportunity for the translation of science into application
- Kannapolis’ low cost of living, small town appeal, and proximity to Charlotte and its world-class amenities
- 350 acre North Carolina Research Campus’ mixed-use design totaling one million square feet of office and laboratory space, 350,000 square feet of retail and commercial space and approximately 700 new residential units
- Vision – be a leader in scientific discovery and breakthroughs in nutrition sciences
All employees of the Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) are employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Faculty and Research Opportunities
The UNC Nutrition Research Institute offers opportunities for faculty and researchers to refine or expand a nutrition-related research program. The Institute is particularly interested in research related to nutrigenomics, metabolomics, epigenetics, clinical nutrition and/or energy expenditure.
Learn more about Faculty Fellows and Visiting Scholars by clicking the button below.