UNC Nutrition Research Institute in Kannapolis, NC
UNC Nutrition Research Institute
500 Laureate Way
Kannapolis, NC 28081
The Nutrition Research Institute is part of the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, NC. Located in the greater Charlotte region, Kannapolis is a blossoming community, steeped in history and full of charm. With a population of 40,000, this community offers many modern-day conveniences while maintaining its welcoming small-town feel. The city boasts a diverse assortment of housing options from classically styled mill homes to modern condominiums and spacious suburban neighborhoods. Public and private schools are excellent and plentiful as are options for top-notch healthcare. See details in the Relocating menu.
UNC Nutrition Research Institute
The North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC) is a 350-acre research center located 25 miles north of Charlotte. Here, universities and leading industry partners have forged a public-private partnership, bringing the brightest minds from across the globe to transform science at the intersection of human health, nutrition and agriculture. NCRC partners are advancing the boundaries of research and development, addressing human disease through new approaches to prevention and treatment, educating the next generation of scientists and medical professionals and driving the local economy.
Beyond a research center, the NC Research Campus is an economic driver creating close to 1,000 jobs and playing a critical role in the development of the city of Kannapolis and the Charlotte-area’s growing life-science sector. This economic growth is particularly evident in a major downtown redevelopment plan, currently underway, that will bring sports and entertainment venues, a hotel, offices, and residences to the historic downtown.
Charlotte is an easy 30-minute drive south from the UNC Nutrition Research Institute. Many faculty and staff live in Charlotte and its surrounds. A sprawling metropolitan city, Charlotte has more than 200 neighborhoods that radiate out from Uptown, the central business hub. Charlotte is a banking center and has impressive dining, entertainment and cultural scenes.
The city’s cultural organizations, neighborhood festivals and arts-education programs produce more than 65,000 performances and events annually, so there is always something to check out. A national sports hub, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, Charlotte Checkers and Charlotte Knights, and serves as home base for the Charlotte Motor Speedway, which hosts NASCAR Sprint Cup events.
Charlotte has a humid subtropical climate, with roughly 214 days of sunshine per year and 4 distinct seasons.
- Average summer temps: 90°F
- Average winter temps: 50°F
Moving to a new place sometimes comes with challenges. The links below are provided to help ease your transition into Kannapolis. You will find housing options, services needed (like cable, licensing, transportation, banking, etc.), graded school systems within our area, nearest medical facilities, and community resources (post office, library, parks, and shopping). We also provide you with quick links to county and city government websites as well as popular area attractions.
If you have any questions regarding this information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Homes 4 Rent
- Atlantic American (Castle & Cooke)
- Coopers Ridge Apartments
- Integra Springs Apartments at Kellswater
- Legacy Grand at Concord Apartments
- The Ridges Apartments
Inform landlord that you are employed at UNC Chapel Hill Nutrition Research Institute located on the NCRC. This may assist in your lease/rental terms. Employment letters are available to confirm dates and salaries of employment, as employees may not have established credit in the US.
These are short-term furnished rental options with limited availability. This is an option for those planning well in advance.
Utilities: City of Kannapolis
- Water/Sewer – City of Kannapolis – 704-920-4399
- Electricity – Duke Energy – 1-800-777-9898
- Natural Gas – PSNC Energy – 1-877-776-2427
- Garbage and Recycling Service – Kannapolis Public Works Dept. – 704-920-4200
- Check your area for local service providers. Deposit may be required for service requests.
License and Transportation
Driver’s License or State ID Card
Cabarrus County License Office
2192 Kannapolis Hwy, Concord, NC
Vehicle License Plate and Vehicle Taxes
NC License Plate Agency
1509 Dale Earnhardt Blvd, Kannapolis, NC
Charlotte Douglas International (CLT) is a 45 minute drive from Kannapolis
201 South Main Street Kannapolis, NC 28081
201 South Main Street Kannapolis, NC
Bicycles and Scooters (No license required, must wear a helmet.)
Rider Transit serving Concord and Kannapolis, NC.
- Fifth Third Bank
- First Bank
- Southern Select Community Credit Union – Open to Public
- State Employees’ Credit Union
- Wells Fargo
*This is a small representation of available services. Money orders available at most banks/credit unions for a small fee. Use these to pay rent and other expenses in place of cash or a personal check.
Social Security Number (SSN)
Social Security Office
830 Florence St NW Concord, NC 28027
Internet and Home Phone
- AT&T – 1-800-CALL-ATT (1-800-225-5288)
- Time Warner Cable – 1-800 – TWCABLE (1-800-892-2253)
- Windstream – 1-877-807-WIND (1-877-807-9463)
Cable and Satellite
There are several distinguished hospitals located near the Kannapolis area. Quality patient care is at your doorstep. Some notable nearby area hospitals include:
- CMC-NorthEast Medical Center
920 Church Street N, Concord, NC 28025
- Carolinas Healthcare System Kannapolis
2711 Lane Street, Kannapolis, NC 28081
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
200 Hawthorne Lane, Charlotte, NC 28204
- Rowan Regional Medical Hospital
612 Mocksville Avenue, Salisbury, NC 28144
US Post Office
1040 Dale Earnhardt Blvd, Kannapolis, NC 28083
Offers Money Orders for a small fee.
850 Mountain Street, Kannapolis, NC 28081
- Veterans Park – 119 North Main Street
- Dale Earnhardt Plaza – 109 West A Street
- Village Park – 700 West C Street
- Bakers Creek Park – 1275 West A Street
- Walter M. Safrit Park – 1314 Bethpage Road
- Vietnam Veterans Park – 760 Orphanage Road
- Contact 704-920-4343 to see what each park has to offer.
- Oak Avenue Mall – 0.7 miles – within walking distance to NRI 358 Oak Ave Mall Dr, Kannapolis , NC 28081 Contains Grocery (Food Lion), Discount (Family Dollar), and Restaurants (Subway, Pizza Hut)
- Walmart Supercenter – 2420 Supercenter Drive NE, Kannapolis, NC 28083
- Target – 6150 Bayfield Pkwy, Concord, NC 28027
- Carolina Mall – 1480 Concord Parkway North, Concord, NC 28025
- Concord Mills Mall – 8111 Concord Mills Blvd, Concord, NC 28027
- Cabarrus County: co.cabarrus.nc.us
- Cleveland County: clevelandcounty.com
- Gaston County: co.gaston.nc.us
- Iredell County: co.iredell.nc.us
- Lincoln County: co.lincoln.nc.us
- Mecklenburg County: co.mecklenburg.nc.us
- Rowan County: co.rowan.nc.us
- Union County: co.union.nc.us
- Charlotte: charmeck.org
- China Grove: chinagrovenc.gov
- Concord: ci.concord.nc.us
- Gastonia: cityofgastonia.com
- Harrisburg: harrisburgnc.org
- Kannapolis: kannapolisnc.gov
- Salisbury: ci.salisbury.nc.us
Check www.charlottesgotalot.com for a calendar of events. The Charlotte region has several huge festivals that draw crowds worldwide annually.
- Carolina Panthers Stadium
- Charlotte Hornets Arena
- Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte Knights (minor league baseball)
- Discovery Place/IMAX Dome Theatre
- Levine Museum of the New South
- Betchler Museum of Modern Art
- NASCAR Hall of Fame
- Children’s Theater of Charlotte
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- Charlotte Ballet
- Charlotte Symphony
- Opera Carolina
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts & Culture
- Mint Museum
- Billy Graham Library
- SouthPark Mall (high-end shopping) 4400 Sharon Road South
- US National Whitewater Center
- UNC-Charlotte Botanical Gardens
- Charlotte Nature Museum
- PNC Music Pavilion (University area)
- Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens
- Kannapolis Intimidators (minor league baseball)
- NC Music Hall of Fame
- Gem Theater
- The Dale Trail
- Parks and Recreation
- Concord Mills (shopping)
- Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Reed Gold Mine (first documented gold discovery in the US)
- Great Wolf Lodge
- Lake Norman
- Ramsey Creek Park: Take NC Hwy 73 west to NC 115; Turn right and travel north; Old Statesville Rd turns into Main Street; turn left onto East Catawba Ave; turns into West Catawba Ave and turn right onto Nantz Rd-park will be on right 18441 Nantz Road
- Birkdale Village (high-end shopping/dining)
- Carolina Raptor Center
- Historic Latta Plantation
- Discovery Place Kids