RESEARCH ASSOCIATE-SMITH LAB
NOTE: This position is located at the UNC Nutrition Research Institute in Kannapolis, NC (approximately 2 hours from Chapel Hill).
The Smith lab at the UNC Nutrition Research Institute seeks an energetic, creative, and motivated researcher to join our team as a Research Associate. The responsibilities of the successful candidate include but are not limited to: bioinformatic and statistical analysis of whole transcriptome sequencing and metabolomics data, generation of summary data displays (figures, tables), and composition of scientific manuscripts. Knowledge of nutrition is not required.
60% – Bioinformatic and statistical analysis of whole transcriptome and metabolomics data from animal studies.
- Work with PI and collaborators on the bioinformatics and statistical analysis of large data sets from experimental studies related to diet/nutrition, genetics, alcohol, and prenatal outcome.
- Serve as a key team member in an advanced research program in the area of nutrition, genes, and prenatal outcome.
- Process whole transcriptome and metabolomics data.
- Integrate -omics and meta-data
- Develop machine learning algorithm
- Perform network and pathway analysis and modeling
- Perform multivariate analysis and inferential statistical analysis, including regression.
- Maintain knowledge of methods in the field, including pipelines for data processing and analysis, and suggest new methods to address research aims.
- Collaborate with lab team members including students to advance analytic goals of the lab.
30% – Work collaboratively with PI and other lab members on preparation and submission of manuscripts and grants.
- Generate data displays, figures, and tables for manuscripts and grants.
- Conduct literature searches and help to maintain reference library on methodologies used for analysis.
- Draft manuscripts using study data for submission.
- Take the lead on manuscript generation and work collaboratively with co-authors on manuscript preparation and submission.
10% – Present data at team meetings, collaborative research meetings, departmental retreats and conferences.
- Must have thorough understanding of research data and be able to present to both scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary.
Post-baccalaureate degree in bioinformatics, computer science, biostatistics, biology, or other relevant field.
Qualifications and Experience
– Demonstrated evidence of training in biology, statistics, and computation.
– Conversant in core bioinformatics tools (e.g., R, Python).
– Strong computational and statistical skills.
– Demonstrated critical thinking, self-direction, self-motivation, project management, time management, and organizational skills.
– Must be willing to work in Kannapolis, NC.
Applications only accepted online at: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/157062
Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.