RESEARCH ASSOCIATE-SUMNER LAB
NOTE: This position is located in Kannapolis, NC (2 hours from Chapel Hill).
The Research Associate will work as an integral part of the Sumner Lab at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) to conduct metabolomics investigations in nutrition, environmental exposures, and metabolic variation. The Research Associate will acquire, analyze and interpret findings using mass spectrometry, software for statistical and multivariate analysis, and pathway mapping. The individual must have a good understanding of the quality control procedures used in mass spectrometry. Additionally, the Research Associate may participate in establishing and applying new methods in metabolomics data capture and analysis.
Post-Baccalaureate degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or other relevant field required; for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience
– Minimum of 3 years of experience in the acquisition and analysis of liquid chromatography mass spectrometry data with knowledge of quality control procedures.
– Experience in sample extraction and preparation from biospecimens including humans, animals, and cell cultures as well as experience in handling, storage, and disposal of biospecimens.
– Strong critical thinking skills, self-direction and motivation, project management skills, effective time management, and organizational skills,
– Excellent oral and written communication skills for communicating scientific results.
– Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
– Computer Skills Required: Waters and/or Thermo software for mass spectrometry; Microsoft Office.
Applications only accepted online at: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/155903
Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.